Monster Manual (RARE FIRST PRINTING*), hardback core rulebook for AD&D 1st edition, by Gary Gygax
“Over 350 Monsters
This book provides a complete alphabetical listing of all “monsters” encountered in the various works which comprise the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game system. It is an invaluable aid to players and dungeon masters alike!”
This was the first item released for AD&D. It was also the first ever hardback RPG book. Whilst overall, the Monster Manual is one of the most common D&D or AD&D products, this first print is rare.
Detailed condition description
- The exterior of the book is in GOOD to VERY GOOD condition.
- A previous owner has written his name on the first page.
- There is extensive (but generally neat) pencil annotation throughout.
- There is some annotation in pen. Again, this is generally done quite neatly.
- Quite a few of the monster illustrations have been coloured-in with coloured pencils. This has been done very neatly.
- The book is structurally sound, with no loose pages. (These early printing Monster Manuals were made to last!)
* According to The Acaeum, first printing copies from December 1977 have the following features:
- Lizard logo
- Centered, red-lettered “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons” at top, with “TM Reg Applied For” in small red letters under that
- Rough textured (like a 1970’s school textbook, which in fact it was)
- “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons” in red lettering, but no registered trademark symbol
- States “Gary Gygax”
- No ISBN anywhere
- Endpapers and flyleaves are red
- Pages are smooth
- No printing number information on the copyright page
- Catalog on last page refers to a future “Referee’s Guide” and Outdoor Geomorphs sets 2-4