Ironclads and Ether Flyers, softback Space: 1889 miniatures rules (GDW edition), by Frank Chadwick
“A Complete Set of 19th-Century Aeronaval Miniatures Rules
- Aeronaval Combat – Battles between seafaring battleships and aerial gunboats as two new technologies take form.
- Scenarios – Scenarios cover the conflicts that mark the slide of an increasingly bellicose and unstable world toward the inevitable Great War.
- Fleets of the World – Directory of the navies of Earth: their ships and their strengths.
- Campaign Rules – Pit your strategies against your opponent’s.
- Deploy fleets and forces across the Earth’s oceans.
- Armadas safeguard the seas; submersibles prowl their depths; and ether flyers dominate the skies. When rival nations go head to head, their ships and ether flyers clash in epic confrontations to decide the fate of their world. Upon mastering the Ironclads rules, players can match wits in exciting campaigns in the Caribbean, North Sea, South China Sea and elsewhere.
The rules clearly detail aeronaval combat: movement, attacks, ramming, and damage. In addition, advanced rules explore special weapons and vessels, such as deep-diving submarines, torpedoes, aerial ordnance, and more. All rules are compatible with Soldier’s Companion and Sky Galleons of Mars.
Ironclads and Ether Flyers is set in the Space: 1889 universe, but no other rules or books are required to play this game.”