City State of the Invincible Overlord (1st edition, Judges Guild), supplement for Original D&D
Description from rpggeek.com:
“The City-State of the Invincible Overlord was the first fantasy RPG setting ever published (1976). It features a huge walled city that is ruled by the eponymous (lawful evil) Overlord and the surrounding environs that are full of adventure possibilities. What was so striking at the time that it was first released was the incredible level of detail that the product contains. Hundreds of streets are mapped, named, and populated with shops, temples, inns, taverns, brothels, houses, barracks, and the like. Hundreds of NPCs are listed along with their stats and rumors they knew (for starting adventures). The history and political system of the City State is described along with relevant laws the PC’s must abide by while inside the city. It includes dungeon levels beneath the City State and detailed information for nearby adventure / dungeon sites: the dwarven fortress “Thunderhold” and the “Sunstone Caverns”.
The City State was designed for Dungeons & Dragons (Original Edition) but was not officially licensed for D&D until 1978. The license ended in 1983. It was printed many times over the life of Judges Guild and changed in size and configuration in subsequent editions.
The first edition was spread out across several different publications / releases throughout 1976:
- City State Map: A 34″ x 44″ map of the City State in four sections
- Guidelines Booklet I: A 16-page booklet with charts, rules and background data for the City State such as NPCs, crimes and trials, etc.
- City State Player’s Map: A 17″ x 22″ map of the City State (originally printed on four 8.5″ x 11″ sheets) that was blank inside for players to fill in details as they explored the city
- Dungeon Level Maps I 1-5: Five dungeon levels beneath the City State
- Guide to the City State: A 56-page booklet detailing hundreds of shopkeepers and other NPC’s, background information, special buildings, and additional rules for running campaigns in the City State
- Thunderhold & Sunstone Caverns Maps: 11″ x 17″ map with the dwarven fortress on one side and the caverns on the other
- Guidelines Booklet J: A 12-page booklet with additional charts, rules and background data for Thunderhold and Sunstone Caverns
- Dungeon Level Maps J: Four dungeon levels beneath Thunderhold
In 1977 the above items were bundled together into one package with a cover sheet entitled City State of the Invincible Overlord.”
THIS COPY IS ONE OF THOSE 1977 BUNDLED EDITIONS.
The contents are as follows:
- City State Map: A 34″ x 44″ map of the City State in four sections (VERY GOOD condition; each section individually laminated – no doubt why it has survived forty years!)
- Guidelines Booklet I: A 16-page booklet (VERY GOOD)
- City State Player’s Map: A 17″ x 22″ map of the City State (VERY GOOD, laminated)
- Dungeon Level Maps I 1-5: (NOT PRESENT IN THIS COPY)
- Guide to the City State: A 56-page booklet (GOOD – would be VERY GOOD, except that a previous owner has marked on the map on page 2 markings to show how it relates to the maps in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy supplement; laminated)
- Thunderhold & Sunstone Caverns Maps: 11″ x 17″ map (PLAYERS’ MAP OF THUNDERHOLD ONLY – the DM’s (or “Judges'”) map of Thunderhold had Sunstone Caverns on the reverse, but is NOT PRESENT IN THIS COPY; the players’ map of Thunderhold which is present is in FAIR condition)
- Guidelines Booklet J: A 12-page booklet (VERY GOOD)
- Dungeon Level Maps J: (NOT PRESENT IN THIS COPY)
- Cover Sheet (FAIR)
The original plastic bag is NOT PRESENT. The product will be sent in a new gripseal bag instead.