B/X Essentials Rulebooks Collection, softback roleplaying game
“The B/X Essentials project is a reorganised, clarified expression of the classic Basic/Expert rules, with the focus on ease of reference at the table. The goals and guiding principles of the project are as follows:
- 100% accurate rules clone. B/X Essentials, unlike other clones or games inspired by B/X, goes to great efforts to be 100% accurate to the original. Nothing is altered. Nothing is added. Nothing is removed.
- Organised for quick reference. The text of B/X Essentials is consciously kept concise and is broken into logical chunks, each with a header and contained on a single page, making quick reference possible (no page flipping!). I believe this is the clearest expression of the Basic/Expert rules available to date.
- Clarified rules. The original rules are delightfully straightforward, but there certainly exist areas of confusion and ambiguity. (Check out the rules for encumbrance, wilderness chases, or sea vessels, for example.) B/X Essentials presents greatly clarified descriptions of these rules.
- 100% Open Game Content. In addition to fancy, fully illustrated print / PDF editions, the B/X Essentials rules are released in a simple text format licensed as 100% Open Game Content (under the OGL). The fresh expression of the B/X rules can thus be freely used by other people for the creation of their own house rules documents and B/X-inspired games.
This pack includes five softback rulebooks:
- Core Rules – The core rules of the game, including: encounters, combat, dungeon and wilderness exploration, seafaring, spell casting, and magical research.
- Classes and Equipment – The standard classes of adventurer and the ways in which characters can spend their hard-earned treasure, including: arms, adventuring gear, mounts, sea vessels, mercenaries, specialists, and (eventually!) castles and strongholds.
- Adventures and Treasures – Guidelines for adventure creation, random encounter tables, treasure generation rules, and the complete list of magic items.
- Monsters – All of the classic Basic/Expert monsters in a new, easy-to-reference format, optimised for use at the table.
- Cleric and Magic-User Spells – The standard spell listings for the cleric and magic-user classes (the latter also used by elves).”